California Fires

Discussion in 'Current Events & Politics' started by Snowman, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Wow, these new wildfires in California are really devastating and tragic. As of this morning there are 29 confirmed deaths in the Camp fire in Butte County with 228 missing. This is day 5 of the fire. Emergency workers can't even identify some of the remains. Well over 100,000 acres have been burned with thousands of homes lost. The whole down of Paradise is just totally gone. It's now the most destructive file in CA history.

29 dead in Camp Fire in Butte County, 228 remain missing

I live in Northern California about 100 miles from the fires and the smoke permeates the air. The air quality is horrible and unsafe for people to breathe outside. Face masks that protect against particulate matter are recommended if going outside.

There is a good chance PG&E is at partly least responsible for causing it along with extremely dry conditions due to climate change. There's been no rain for over six months and this the start of the rainy season.

I just read that Miley Cyrus' home was destroyed in Malibu.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

3. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

The Woolsey fire in Southern California almost destroyed Pepperdine University the other day. Apparently some outer buildings on the campus were damaged, but so far fire fighters have preserved the school. Students were sheltering at the library. At one point, I considered attending there.

All-out effort to save Pepperdine University from Woolsey fire

4. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Now Neil Young and Gerard Butler lost their homes too in the Woolsey fire. Terrible.

But I have to say, it's no worse than any normal person who lost their home in these out of control fires. In fact, I feel much more sorry for a normal person since they don't have millions of dollars in the bank to fall back on. And no doubt celebrities have plenty of insurance. I mention it since this forum has an entertainment focus.

Miley Cyrus, Neil Young, Gerard Butler among those who lost homes in California wildfires - Los Angeles Times

5. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

A family escaping the 'Camp Fire' in Butte County shot from their car ... very scary!

6. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Neil Young gave tRump a piece of his mind today regarding the realities of climate change and the growing threat of fires. He's right on the money.

“California is vulnerable — not because of poor forest management as DT (our so-called president) would have us think. We are vulnerable because of Climate Change; the extreme weather events and our extended drought is part of it. *** Our temperatures are higher than ever here in our hottest summer on record. *** California is a paradise for us all. We are sad not to be able to defend it against Mother Nature’s wrath.”

Neil Young says Donald Trump is way off the mark in assigning blame for California fires

7. Smoothy

Smoothy New Member

These videos of people driving through it is giving me anxiety. That is so sad. :(