New Christmas Music (2018)

Discussion in 'Music Square' started by Snowman, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Any good new Christmas music released this year? So far, I can only recall Eric Clapton's Happy Christmas. I wasn't impressed and it is not likely to become a favorite for me. Even the cover is a joke. I expected much more from Slowhand.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Young American

Young American New Member

Yeah, I like Xmas music and it's just about time to start playing it. I took a look on Amazon and new holiday releases look pretty slim. Mostly just comps of older recordings. Sad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Found another new one ... John Legend - A Legendary Christmas. It's the number #01 best seller in "Soul" right now according to Amazon. Not really my speed, but you might like it! Features 14 tracks; about half are standards other less are less known or new.

One reviewer on Amazon sez, "Great holiday songs with a jazzy pop twist that will have you dancing as you decorate! A must have for any Christmas music fan!"

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Benno123

Benno123 New Member

Many people laugh at those who like Christmas music but I find it really is the one genre that can make me nostalgic for when I was younger. I started collecting the Goodyear and Firestone albums from the 60s because I remember my late grandmother having those. As for new albums released this season I will be honest that I have not really paid attention. I’m hoping to maybe get some nice recommendations, if not to but at least to stream via the streaming services.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smoothy

Smoothy New Member

My family always played Christmas music when I was a child and I still love it today. I don't care of someone laughs at me. I'm living my best Christmas-y life. :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. Keith

Keith New Member

I love Christmas music, it’s a great reminder of years gone by and each season I look forward to new releases that hopefully my daughters will hear and when they’re older will rekindle Christmas memories for them.

So far the only releases I’m familiar with are Ingrid Michaelson’s “Songs of The Season which is a great album with a nice nostalgic feel to it.

I’ve yet to listen to the Clapton album.

Tracy Lawrence released “Frozen In Time” which is a reissue of “All Wrapped Up In Christmas” with 2 bonus tracks, but they do give the album a different vibe and it feels more complete now.

It appears there are a few more “Deluxe” reissues coming with more songs from Gwen Stefani, Brett Eldredge and Lindsay Sterling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Keith

Keith New Member

Isn’t there supposed to be an Ozzy Christmas album in the works?

8. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Seriously? He seems like a rather unlikely fellow to inspire holiday cheer. More suitable for Halloween.

9. Keith

Keith New Member

There’s always this

10. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

11. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

Here's something I found. Again, not my cup of tea, but I'm sure it is interesting to fans. Alt. rock people might enjoy it too.

The Monkees - Christmas Party

[​IMG]

Here's the brief write-up from Amazon:

"The first Christmas album ever by the Monkees, Christmas Party is collection of holiday standards and new classics that include “The Christmas Song,” “Silver Bells,” Wonderful Christmastime” and the focus track “Unwrap You At Christmas.”

"In addition to classics, Christmas Party features new songs written by Rivers Cuomo (Weezer), Andy Partridge (XTC), and Peter Buck (REM)."

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  12. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

And The Mavericks have released their very first Christmas album. It's called, Hey! Merry Christmas! I am unfamiliar with this band, but Amazon says they are "Genre-defying" and "Grammy Award-winning" so maybe I'm under a rock. Apparently they have been around 30 years. They have a "blend of rockabilly Latino, folk, swing, blues, jazz, and more" which basically means they have no particular style.

13. Benno123

Benno123 New Member

It gets a bad rap but I always enjoy Ringo’s Christmas album from several years back. It’s nothing Earth shattering but not everything has to be. I think that is what I love and look forward to about Christmas music: after 10/11 months of BS I want some music that’s just fun, and a lot of music this time if year should be just that.

14. Snowman

Snowman Administrator

That's an interesting pick. I wasn't even aware he recorded it. Are you a big Beatles fan?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Benno123

Benno123 New Member

They’re my favorite band but I try not to get as fanatical as some do. I mean, I know there are other bands out there and that they don’t appeal to everyone. If someone doesn’t care for them I am just like ok and move on, unlike another place on the web that we know of ;)